Sunday, January 30, 2011

Abstract Modernist Industrial Garden Sculpture

I am thrilled to have acquired two wonderful  sculptures from Al Roche.  I was just browsing google images of abstract sculptures when a pic caught my eye it was from  this  great blog http://www.gardentyrant.com/2010/09/in-brimfield-mass-you-will-find.html entry.
Long story short I stalked this guy down. Blog showed sculptures at Brimfield, called the field at Brimfield, no info but he is from Texas, much stalking and found him devoid of website, flickr or facebook!



I love his work it is simple and the proportions and angles are so right.. I had no idea it would be so hard to  find simple large garden art. After finding it would be cost prohibitive to have his sculptures delivered from Texas to LA, crazy nice Al offered to deliver them for me for a very reasonable amount and a meal.  I also got to meet his lovely wife who is a vintage textile expert.   I think some of his pieces will soon be at the Philadelphia Garden Show, and of course right here on our humble little street.
I also have this one and the last one is a piece I had to pass on. What a gem.


And here are some pieces at Brimfield
 I would also have been very happy with this playground below (from someone else's blog post- way back- sorry lost info)



3 comments:

  1. the last foto is from Prague from a playground in the park Stromovka. Here is the link to the streetview, where you can see all concrete sculptures for kids

    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=cs&geocode=&q=nad+kralovskou+oborou&aq=&sll=50.102838,14.42154&sspn=0.00064,0.001878&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Nad+Kr%C3%A1lovskou+oborou,+Praha,+%C4%8Cesk%C3%A1+republika&ll=50.102854,14.421444&spn=0.010185,0.030041&t=h&z=16&layer=c&cbll=50.102837,14.421539&panoid=TlLSNvIJaHK4ki7BzSbe-Q&cbp=12,336.52,,1,2.24

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lukás. It was so interesting to see them painted (I think I prefer them concrete). Also great to see they have not been torn down because of codes, as the probably would have in the US.

    ReplyDelete